TerraQuest routes come in three forms:
- Routes displayed as a line
- Routes with a line and audible turn-by-turn navigation
- Either type above with or without a leaderboard
To get on a route leaderboard, you must record a track while following the route. Tracks can be recorded with the TerraQuest app, which we recommend because it's possible to follow the route and simultaneously track it. Alternatively, you can record a track using Strava, Garmin, or Fitbit and then sync those accounts to your TerraQuest account in your user profile.
Steps to follow a route
If you're planning to follow a race route plan and will be using the TerraQuest app for the first time, plan about 5-minutes to get registered and get your route downloaded and ready.
- Find the route one of three ways:
- Search for it by name in the Search Field. Not that the search words must match at least one of the words in the name of the route, and misspelled words don't work
- Pan and zoom the map to the area where the route is located, and click on the TerraQuest icon in the map to open the route.
- Click on a web link for the route someone has shared with you. When the web page opens, an "open in app" button will appear at the top of the page. When clicked, it will open the route in the app.
- Ensure your phone has a clear view of the sky. If that's not possible, but the phone in a pocket with maximum exposure to the sky (e.g., the top pocket of a pack).
- Put your phone in airplane mode. This forces some phones to use the GPS chip instead of cell towers, which will produce better results.
How to get on a route leaderboard
Record a track while following a route and ensure it is synced to your online TerraQuest profile to get on a route leaderboard. You can view your online tracks in the TerraQuest app via the Navigation Drawer (accessible via the upper left-hand corner). You may also view tracks synced to TerraQuest by visiting your user profile on the TerraQuest website.
There are five ways to sync tracks to your TerraQuest profile:
- Use TerraQuest, and it will sync automatically.
- Use the Strava and sync it to your TerraQuest account with tracks recorded using the Strava app or some other device/app synced to your Strava account.
- Use a Garmin device and the Garmin Connect app to sync tracks to your TerraQuest account.
- Use a Fitbit device or app and sync the FitBit app to your TerraQuest account.
- Upload a .gps track to your TerraQuest profile on the TerraQuest website.